Uncharted Waters

After what seemed like an eternity, the wait is over, at least for now. The much-anticipated test results are back for my dad and the verdict is in. The diagnosis is bladder cancer, more specifically neuroendocrine carcinoma.  The oncologist told my dad that one scrap had been done in previous hospital but he wanted to go back in to perform another scrap and check status of tumor.  My dad underwent testing for his heart, lungs and overall health to ensure he was physically strong enough for another surgery, aka scrap.  The scrap is actually called a TURBT (transurethral resection of bladder tumor) this means that the surgery is done using an instrument put in through the urethra, therefore, no cutting into the abdomen (belly) would be necessary.  General anesthesia was used to put him to sleep and a resectoscope is put into the bladder through the urethra.  The resectoscope has a wire loop at the end that’s used to remove any abnormal tissues or tumors.  The removed tumor was sent to the lab for additional testing.  After surgery, he had some pain in urinating but was able to urinate therefore was able to go home same day.  The oncologist did mention that the tumor had not grown from first scrap (surgery) which was excellent news.  In addition, he indicated that in order to stay on course for the best medical outcome, he wants my dad to start his first chemo treatment no later than three or four weeks from now.  Due to my dad being in the upper 60s, they will be closely monitoring his heart and organs along the way before and after each chemo session.  Right now, they are looking at about 3 to 4 chemo sessions once every 2 weeks or the other option is 3 chemo sessions once every 2 weeks and 1 radiation session.  After the completion of this treatment, they plan to check if another surgery is needed to do another scrap or if they will have to remove his bladder.  Right now, there are too many unknowns which was my experience as well.  My dad is a little inpatient and always needs to plan out everything ahead of time. He is actually already planning out how everything is going to go based on the specific details of the treatment plan without taking into account the possible variables discussed by the oncologists.  I told my dad that I know he likes to plan out everything, but cancer is not something that is planned and many variables may occur.  In other words, I told him while it is good to plan for the treatment’s dates, he has to be ready for any possible unexpected changes in the treatment and timing.  Unfortunately, life is unpredictable and the future is uncertain. We just need to keep the faith and trust in God as well as hope and pray that God may guide us to the best possible outcome.

#Uncertainty

One thought on “Uncharted Waters

1. August 25, 2022 at 8:01 am

May the Lord’s hand be upon your dad at this time.

Liked by 2 people

• August 25, 2022 at 8:49 am

Hi Manu, thank you so much for your kind words of support for me and my dad during this difficult time.

Liked by 2 people

2. August 25, 2022 at 8:04 am

Oh, Kelly, I was afraid you got upsetting news yesterday when you didn’t post. Having a loved one go through this is the hardest thing in life, I think. Just prayed for you and your Dad and am thinking of you! ❣️🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽❣️ellen

Liked by 2 people

• August 25, 2022 at 8:48 am

Hi Ellen thank you so much for your continuous kind words of support, understanding and prayers. It really means the world to me. You are also in my thoughts and prayers. How are you doing?🙏🙏💗💗

Liked by 1 person

3. August 25, 2022 at 8:57 am

Don’t worry about me. Hopefully emerging from a rough patch but not as bad as what you are going through. Life is tough and at times, unbearable. But you gave me God to talk to. You inspired me and I am forever in your debt. Now I try to talk all the time through the hardest moments. God bless you and your Dad. It is so hard, I know, but he is lucky to have you as his guide.

Liked by 1 person

• August 26, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Thank you so much for everything Ellen. I am so blessed and grateful for your friendship. What can I say I am natural worrier I can’t help it. I am very glad to learn that I was an instrument used by God to open the communications between you and Him. You are always in my prayers, and I hope that the rough patch you have been experiencing soon goes away. 🙏🙏🙏💗💗💖💖

Liked by 2 people

• August 26, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Thank you so much, Kelly. Hoping and praying for the best for your Dad and for you. I am the one who is blessed to have YOU as a new friend!!! Yes, you have me talking to God a lot now and it and meditation has helped. Thank you for caring… and know that many of your readers are joining you in prayer. That has got to be good!!! Lots of love… 🙏🙏🙏💖💖💖🙏🙏🙏

4. August 25, 2022 at 9:07 am

Oh Kelly so glad your dad has you. I hope he realises it! One prayer at a time and one day at a time. The medical profession seem well on the case of caring for your Dad. God hears our prayers and we thank Him for that and know He is always there. Big hug!!

Liked by 2 people

5. August 25, 2022 at 10:17 am

Kelly, it sounds like the doctors have a very clear plan. You, your dad, and your family are in my prayers. I saw you referenced Proverbs 3:5-6 in the post – one of my favorites I live by. 🙏

Liked by 1 person

• August 26, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Hi Bruce, thank you so much for your continued support and prayers for me and my dad. We truly appreciate everything everyone is doing. They say that prayers in numbers can move mountains. I agree with you 100% Proverbs 3:5-6 is definitely one to live by. 💖💗🙏🙏🙏

Liked by 2 people

6. August 25, 2022 at 11:29 am

Prayers for healing for your dad, and prayers for patience for you. Hugs.

Liked by 1 person

• August 26, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Hi Mike and Kellye, thank you so much for your continued support and prayers for both me and my dad. It really means the world to all of us. Yes, they say patience is a virtue and although I am patient in some things, I am not so patient in others. We continue praying. 🙏🙏🙏💗💖

Liked by 2 people

7. August 25, 2022 at 4:08 pm

May this morning sunshine help heal best wishes for recovery for all of you in family

Liked by 1 person

• August 26, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for your beautiful kind words of support and healing.

Liked by 1 person

8. Rachel
    August 26, 2022 at 10:58 am

All the best for your Dad. 🙏

Liked by 1 person

• August 26, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Hi Rachel, thank you so much. Truly appreciate all the support. 🙏🙏💖💗

Liked by 1 person

9. September 6, 2022 at 9:20 am

Amen. Trusting God. That’s the answer. And in the name of Jesus, may your dad heal and recover completely.

Liked by 2 people